Sunday, March 27, 2011

Easy like Sunday Morning...


We had a relaxing weekend, which is unusual. Yesterday I made a new skirt, we had dinner at Wild Wings Cafe and I watched The Big Chill for the 8,497th time. Today the kids watched movies and I got some laundry done. I also read. I'm always reading something, but it's been awhile since I have read something new that I really liked. Luckily, I found a book at the library a couple of weeks ago called "The Surf Guru." It's a collection of short stories by Doug Dorst. I was unfamiliar with him, so when I picked it up I was totally judging a book by it's cover. The cover art and title are fabulous. The first story, which is also the title of the book, drew me in immediately. The stories were wildly varied, dealing with an aging surfer, a cake maker who was way nuttier than her desserts and then jumping to tales about teens who burnt down a forest and criminals on the run. As I read I found that I identified with some of the characters and was extremely curious about some of the others. I even found myself doing internet research on Van Gogh after reading one of the selections. All in all it was a great read and a book that I would consider buying in the future just to have on my shelf so I can re-visit it on a rainy day while I drink a cup of hot tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment